Saturday, June 8, 2013

Google Presentation Instead of Power Point

I thought that Google Presentation was just like Power point, but I like the features of embedding videos and of how they are stored in your Google drive account.  I have so many files with earlier power points in them on my desktop or H drive, and then I forget what I called them and can't find them when I need them.  By being in my Google drive account I can search for key words and there they are!
Sometimes Power Point had too many options and kids spent longer on the fluff then actually putting in the meat of their project or report.  It is also nice to be able to quickly share your presentation and not have to email attachments to others.  Another nice thing is that you can work with Google on your iPad where you can't do Power Point on your iPads.
I have created my first Google Presentation on the Writing Process and why it is important.  This is the first part of the Sentence Writing Strategy Class that we cover.  I will add this to my Strategy Google Site, so students can use it for future reference.


6 comments:

  1. I agree with you that students get distracted in PowerPoint. I like that Presentations has a much smaller set of tools for students to work with. And I love the ease of adding videos to Presentations. If you've ever tried to embed a video in PowerPoint, you will appreciate the ease with which you can do this in Google Presentations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To tell the truth I have never tried to embed a video into a power point. All I know is that embedding Google Presentations is easy. I am looking forward to using Presentations because of the sharing aspect too.

      Delete
  2. Leann - I wasn't able to bring up the link to your Google Presentation. (says I don't have access)

    I agree... I love the searching capabilities in Google. So much easier to find the documents you need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Searching is very effective in gmail as well. You can search by contact or by a keyword. That has saved me lots of time, too.

    I am glad to know embedding is much easier in G Presentation. I need to hear lots of positives!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how mobile Google Presentation is! Like you said, it will really cut down on old PowerPoints I look for but can't find! It's awesome we can search for a word in the Google Presentation and it will magically appear from the Google Gods. As an English teacher, I agree that sometimes when my students are creating their PowerPoints they take too long on the bells and whistles and forget about the most important part of it - the content! I think Google Presentation will help with this. Great post! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never messed with putting a video in a Power Point either. I thought it would be too crazy, so I didn't even try. With Google Presentation, it was almost the first thing I tried and it worked seemlessly. Hence, I am in love with Google Presentation. The ease of inserting videos and images as well as not worrying at all about saving is just the best! Love your Google Presentation!

    ReplyDelete