Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Using TED Talks in the Classroom

Using TED Talks in the Classroom

When I first started watching TED Talks they seemed to have great messages and were well done.  My only concern was that they were around 15 to 20 minutes long.  This is great for me to watch because I am interested in the topic, but for my students this is too long.  Then I remembered Mickie saying that you could search for a time limit, so I redid my searches for 3 to 5 minutes and had better luck. 
I found a great 5 minute video on getting kids to think of their online reputation.  It is Juan Enriquez: Your online life, permanent as a tattoo.  Great to get kids to think about once it is online it can't be erased.  I thought this would be a good one since we are one on one with iPad Mini's now, and we must keep thinking about our digital footprint.

I also have 2 sets of Sifteo Cubes in my classroom.  I found a video that lasts just 7 minutes- David Merrill demos Siftables.  It would be a great intro to use before I use the Sifteo Cubes in lessons.  Background knowledge on technology is always good for kids to know.

I also liked the video: Adovia Svitak: What adults can learn from kids.  I could use this in my Writing and Reading Strategy class to show the power of reading and writing at a young age.  Her book "Flying Fingers" that she wrote when she was seven could be a great lead into student writing and publishing!  I could ask students about the importance of writing and when do they think most writers start?  Also the importance of publishing their work, and ways to publish writing?

6 comments:

  1. Wow! I guess you get bonus points for having three posts devoted to TED Talks!

    I think you picked out some great Talks for both students and teachers. I am continually amazed by the number of videos on this site. I especially love the videos done by kids. So important that people realize that the audiences these kids are speaking to are generally full of adults. These kids demonstrate such poise and confidence. Love TED Talks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bonus points would not be fair since I just have more posts because I couldn't figure out how to embed on the first one :)
      TED Talks are great, just need to make sure the videos are not too long or the vocabulary is not over your audience. Great that you can embed in your Google Site!

      Delete
  2. I hadn't heard the quote from Juan Enriqez, "You're online life, permanent as a tattoo." Definitely a great video clip to show students to get them thinking about their online reputation as they grow and start to look for jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also had concern for the length of many of the videos as I searched. I need to go back and try searching by time limit. I also don't think the whole video has to be shown, or shown all at one time. I like Ramsey Musallau's idea of arousing students' curiosity. I really liked his comment of having students watch videos on their devices is the same "dehumanizing chatter wrapped up in fancy clothing." Students don't listen to lectures in the classroom. Why do educators think they would listen to a video of one? I'm not much of a lecturer, but when I do, I keep it interactive all the time and that is lost in a video. I also enjoyed the Adora Svitak video. She is quite a dynamic speaker and speech writer. I loved her use of humor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea to search for time limits, Mickie! I think the TED Talk videos I show in my classroom need to be under ten minutes. I think they could be used as bell work or exit tickets or to get my students' mind geared toward something we'll be focusing on in class.

    I think video can inspire my kids just as much as I can. And it's a good idea to mix it up from time to time! Thanks Leann!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree that some of the videos are too long! I thought the same thing as I was searching videos for ones that I found useful. I am really glad that the TED has a way to find videos that fit a particular length. I really liked how user friendly and useful that TED is.

    ReplyDelete